Sunday, November 7, 2010

And I Was Running...

October was an exiting month for the runners in the Hayes family! Ansley had been training hard for her first 5k race so Isabel and I came to route for her, Heather, and Kyle. Aunt Heather and Uncle Kyle even won an award!





Isabel with her Aunties





Heather getting her trophy




Kyle getting his trophy




Isabel made a friend. She was VERY excited to meet Clifford, the Big Red Dog






I didn't run the 5k with Ansley and Heather because I ran my first half marathon the next day in Athens! Even when I was in the best shape in high school and college, I have never been a good runner and never in a million years thought I would be able to run 13.1 miles. It does not come naturally to me, but I started last year with a couch to 5k plan with Isabel and have really learned to enjoy it. I am so thankful for the many people around me that supported me and encouraged me and I could never have done it without them!


This is me crossing the finish line (in the black pants). I looked down at my watch and was close to a nice, round ending time (if you know me at all, you know that is all it takes to motivate me) so I decided to book it for the last 20 yards despite the fact that the last mile almost killed me. You can tell I was determined to get to that finish line!



My partners in crime. Kim Lockhart is in the middle. She is my running buddy/trainer! :) Ashley on the right is my sister-in-law to be.



So, we're about halfway through the race, about to cross Broad Street right by ADPi and I spot across the intersection my 2 sisters and my Dad with big neon signs! It was such a fun surprise and really gave me an extra boost of energy everytime we saw them on the course. I am especially thankful for my sweet husband who was so supportive and helpful as I trained.



One of my best friends from UGA, Shannon, still lives in Athens. Unfortunately she was out of town that weekend, but she let us take over her house for a few days. Isabel made herself right at home. She wore Shannon's shoes around most of the weekend!



My goal was to finish the race without walking and I hoped to stay at a 10 minute mile pace and I did it! Thanks to my sweet friend Kim who stayed with me the whole time and coached me through the last hill at the end of the race. It was an amazing experience and I'm looking forward to more races in the coming years!

1 comment:

  1. yay, haley! so proud of you and so glad isabel loved my shoes. maybe we can share shoes one day :)

    ReplyDelete